1. The hunt for grey October: Remember that story Patch first told of the San Juan Capistrano resident who lost her African grey parrot which had the voice of her since-deceased husband? It’s gone viral. Karen McIntyre has set up an email in case you spot October, her bird. It’s firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re sure hoping all this publicity helps find October!
2. Film buffing it: Here’s today’s lineup for the West Coast Film Festival.
1 p.m. Singin' in the Rain -
4 p.m. Angels in Exile - Regency Theater
4:30 p.m. Free Willy - Ocean Institute, Dana Point
6:30 p.m. Martial Arts Demonstration – Regency Theater
7 p.m. Enter the Dragon - Regency Theater
Followed by an after-party at Guapas Tapas for appetizers and a no-host bar
Buy tickets here.
3. Mass-transportationing it: Another follow-up on a Patch story. This one was about the OC Fair Express, Orange County Transportation Authority’s cheap ride to the Orange County Fair. This year’s figures are in. Route 691 served San Juan Capistrano, and throughout the five-week fair period, a total of 5,008 riders used the $2-a-ride service on that line. They were among the 58,000-plus passengers from nine stops throughout the county, according to an OCTA spokeswoman.
4. Need to sift through the closet? The annual "Ball Gown Donation
Drive" is underway as part of an effort to help support San Juan
Capistrano's adopted 1st Battalion, 11th Marines (1/11).
Gently-used ball gowns are sought for Marine spouses to help offset the cost of the annual Marine Corps Birthday Ball. The fall event is an opportunity for military personnel to celebrate their service and commitment to our country just before the holiday season.
Clean gowns in all sizes and styles can be dropped off from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday at the San Juan Capistrano Community Center, 25925 Camino del Avion. Donations must be received by Sept. 9.For more information, contact San Juan Capistrano 1/11 Marine Adoption Committee member Kathy Hooper at 949-370-7328.
5. Patch read of the day: Man Arrested for Allegedly Putting Explosives in Checked Bag