Nine lucky people won 10 prizes – yep, someone won twice – today as the San Juan Capistrano Chamber of Commerce rewarded those who shopped locally during the holidays.
Called “Follow the Swallow,” the program encouraged people to show where they shopped by filling a pledge card with signature-confirmed purchases. If they filled the card with proof of purchase from eight businesses have signed off, they became eligible for the raffle.
Seventy cards were turned in, said Jennifer Pointer, chamber operations manager, though several people managed to turn in multiple cards.
Laura Freese, chairwoman of the Economic Preservation Committee, said she researched other towns shop-local campaigns and found that the onus was universally placed on the business owners to come up with discounts and enticements.
San Juan Capistrano’s program was unique in that it motivated the shoppers to spend, she said.
“It really forced people to think differently.”
So if you entered, find out here if you won:
- Austin Webber – Gift certificate to Ricardo’s
- Larry Kramer – Tickets to a show at Camino Real Playhouse
- Genny Cummings – $50 in dry cleaning from Polo Cleaners
- Genny Cummings – Gift certificate to Ricardo’s
- Jennifer Pointer – One ticket to Romance of the Mission fundraiser
- Beverly Blake – One ticket to Romance the Mission fundraiser
- Julie Vlahos – Two tickets to the Vintage Food and Wine Festival
- Leon Swail – Barbecue from DeNault’s Hardware
- Georgia Kelley – $50 in dry cleaning from Polo Cleaners
- Steve Behmerwohld – Four tickets to Music Under the Stars
Click here for today’s top stories from San Juan Capistrano Patch.