The Message Parents need to get:
(1) College prep starts in the 6th grade. If you are not ready to start on the faster path in 6th grade, you are starting out behind.
(2) Under the New Common Core State Standards students will be required to demonstrate a "proficiency" in the material. A certain GPA/Test Score will be required to move to the next level or students will have to repeat the class.
(3) The standard that is being put forward by the Common Core State Standards is 100% Proficiency in Algebra II by 11th Grade.
(4) If you goal is to have your child complete high school and enter a four year college then to attain that they will be required to demonstrate a 3.75 to 3.50 proficiency in courses that lead to Algebra II and that process starts in 6th grade.
Under the old California State Standards Students were required to pass Algebra I to graduate. (See http://capousd.ca.schoolloop.com/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1232963852856)
Under the New Common Core State Standards: Students will be required to take a minimum of three years of high school mathematics and pass Algebra II to graduate.
6th GRADE MATH PLACEMENT IS KEY TO COLLEGE PREP... Too many parents believe that their child is "college material", but find out much to late in the high school process that they are not. The standards for entrance to college have not changed. A student wishing to attend a four year university (especially those that would like to pursue a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) education must go beyond Algebra II and are required to complete Pre-Calculus, Calculus AB, Calculus BC and at least one computer science class before graduating.
75% of Students in the Public Education System do not graduate with the skills they need to be successful in a 2 year year college. The majority of our students are not proficient in Algebra I upon graduation. The goal of Common Core State Standards is to make all students proficient in Algebra II upon graduation. This change has already been implemented. Parents need to be educated so that they can help their children master the change successfully.
CUSD Mathematics scroll down to the following Topics:
- INFO REGARDING MATH 7 ACC PLACEMENT TEST FOR INCOMING GRADE 6 STUDENTS
- PLACEMENT CRITERIA FOR THE 2014-15 SCHOOL YEAR
- CAPISTRANO USD TO SADDLEBACK COLLEGE – MATH COURSE PROGRESSION
2013 STAR Test Results
Capistrano Unified District
All Students - California Standards Test Scores