Originally posted at 11:21 a.m. May 23, 2014. Edited with new details.
A man allegedly kidnapped his 2-year-old son today in Boyle Heights, triggering an Amber Alert.
Abraham Vargas, 27, allegedly drove off with his son in his ex- girlfriend's Nissan Quest about 6:30 a.m., according to Los Angeles police Officer Norma Eisenman. The woman has a restraining order against him, and has full custody of their son, she said.
A statewide Amber Alert was issued, and the California Highway Patrol reported during the noon hour that the vehicle had been found in East Los Angeles, but the man and his son remained missing.
According to police, the child's mother was putting the boy in her vehicle at her home in the 1000 block of Lorena Street when Vargas, who had apparently been hiding nearby, pushed her aside and drove off in the car with their son inside.
"This is the first time that he's actually tried to take the child as he did this morning," LAPD Capt. Gary Lopez said. "They've had other discussions and he's made statements threatening to take the child and go toward Mexico, but this is the first time he's actually taken any action."
Vargas is Hispanic, 5 feet 6 inches tall, and weighs about 180 pounds. He was wearing a red sweatshirt and blue jeans.
His son, Edwin Vargas, is Hispanic, 2 feet tall, with brown hair and eyes. He was wearing a red sweatshirt and blue sweat pants.
Anyone seeing them was urged to call 911.
--City News Service