It took three consecutive losses for Trabuco Hills to drop from the Orange County Top 10 football poll. The Mustangs started the season with four straight wins for the first time since 1992. Even after a 28-26 loss to Santa Margarita, there was reason to be upbeat. But two more losses followed, to JSerra and a 37-34 thriller to Tesoro, and the team is now in survival mode in its bye week. The Mustangs were fifth just two weeks ago.
Trabuco's misfortune solidified Corona del Mar's position in the poll, and provided an opportunity for Edison to return to the county's elite after dominating Huntington Beach.
But the biggest mover was Orange Lutheran, which leveraged a dominant 29-13 win over JSerra into a four-spot bump in the ranking—to fourth. Four of the top five positions are held by Trinity League teams.
Below is the county Top 10 after Week 5, with first place counting for 10 points, second for nine, etc.).
ORANGE COUNTY FOOTBALL POLL
Text by Steve Fryer, Orange County Register
(Ten members of the media vote each week in the poll)
1. Mission Viejo (6-0, 100 points) Diablos took their bye last week, are geared up for South Coast League action. Next: vs. San Clemente at Mission Viejo High, Friday.
2. Mater Dei (6-0, 90) Monarchs jumped to big lead, held on to beat Servite, 28-21. Next: vs. JSerra at Cerritos College, Friday.
3. Servite (3-3, 75) Teams Friars have lost to are 17-2. Next: vs. Santa Margarita at Cerritos College, Friday.
4. Orange Lutheran (6-0, 73) Lancers move up from No. 8 after big win over JSerra. Next: at St. John Bosco, Friday.
5. Santa Margarita (3-3, 52) Eagles hammered by perhaps best team in California, St. John Bosco. Next: vs. Servite at Cerritos College, Friday.
6. La Habra (5-1, 46) Highlanders maintain Freeway’s No. 1 stats after beating Fullerton. Next: vs. Sunny Hills at Buena Park High, Friday.
7. JSerra (5-1, 42) Lions off to rough start in league, with loss to Orange Lutheran. Next: vs. Mater Dei at Saddleback College, Friday.
8. Tesoro (5-1, 38) Titans won a wild one against Trabuco Hills, 37-34. Next: vs. El Toro at Tesoro High, Friday.
9. Corona del Mar (6-0, 17) Sea Kings shut out Irvine, 36-0. Next: vs. Woodbridge at University High, Friday.
10. Edison (4-2, 10) Chargers beat Huntington Beach for 11th consecutive league win. Next: at Newport Harbor, Friday.
MARTIN HENDERSON'S VOTE FROM
1. Mission Viejo (5-0) Should ease into South Coast League play against San Clemente.
2. Mater Dei (6-0) Opened big lead against Servite, can’t afford letdown this week.
3. Servite (3-3) Lost to Mater Dei despite late rally.
4. Orange Lutheran (6-0) Avenged losses to JSerra in most impressive manner.
5. Santa Margarita (3-3) Coming off worst home loss in school history to St. John Bosco.
6. JSerra (5-1) Lions were no match for Orange Lutheran.
7. La Habra (5-1) Defeated toughest Freeway League foe, rest of league should be a breeze.
8. Tesoro (5-1) Is there a team with more on-field drama than Tesoro? Unlikely.
9. Edison (4-2) After playing Mater Dei, Servite and San Clemente in successive weeks, dominated Huntington Beach.
10. Trabuco Hills (4-3) Frittered away two TD lead, lost third in a row to top 10 opponent.