1. Never forget: Monday is designated by the United Nations as International Holocaust Remembrance Day. It is the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in 1945 and honors the victims of the Nazi era.
2. You give blood, you get discounted hockey tickets: The city of San Juan Capistrano will host a blood drive from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Community Center, 25925 Camino Del Avion. You can sign up online for an appointment at the Red Cross website and use sponsor code: cityofsjc or call (949) 443-6322.
Donating blood is a simple process that saves more than 4 million American lives each year. Blood is always needed for treatment for trauma victims; patients being treated for cancer, blood diseases and severe burns; and for surgery patients.All participants will receive a voucher for discounted tickets to select LA Kings hockey games.
3. Interested in the Two-Way Spanish program? Wednesday is the last scheduled tour of the Two-Way Spanish Immersion Program at San Juan Elementary. This is a very popular program, according to the school. Space is limited and parents must attend a tour to be on the interest list. The tour (in English) starts at 8:30 a.m. in the MPR.
4. Mix things up, literally: Locals and guests of the St. Regis Monarch Beach are invited to celebrate the New Year with a master mixology lesson featuring three high-end cognacs from 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday at The St. Regis Lobby Lounge. Guests will get to mix and mingle with master mixologists as they demonstrate cutting edge handcrafted cocktails made from the finest cognacs including Cognac Park, Germain-Robin and Leopold Raffin. The experts will teach you how to create a perfectly balanced cocktail, using only the best cognacs while you enjoy live music, delicious drinks, and light bites prepared by Executive Chef Raj Dixit from Michael Mina's Stonehill Tavern. The mixology experience is priced at just $45 per person. Space is limited. Make reservations by calling (800) 722-1543. For more information about the January master mixology class, visit www.stregismb.com.
5. Attention husbands, boyfriends and significant others: Valentine’s Day is just three weeks away. Now is a good time to think about gifts and make restaurant reservations. Don’t say you weren’t told!
For other happenings, check our events calendar.