1. Curious who will replace Assemblywoman Diane Harkey? The Capistrano Valley Republican Women, Federated, will host four of the declared Republican candidates for the 74th Assembly District at their meeting 9 a.m. Wednesday. The event will be held at the Marbella Country Club, 30800 Country Club Drive in San Juan Capistrano. Cost of attendance is $20 and includes brunch.
Candidates scheduled to attend include Dana Point City Councilman Bill Brough, Rancho Santa Margarita City Councilman Jesse Petrilla, Laguna Niguel City Councilman Paul Glaab and Capistrano Unified School District Trustee Anna Bryson. Current Assemblywoman Diane Harkey is term-limited and cannot run in 2014. For reservations and more information, call 949.240.6709.
2. Summer’s not over until Justin
Foutz finishes singing: It’s
the last Summer Nites concert in the park Wednesday. The tunes, provided by
country-Western artist Justin Foutz, runs from 6-8 p.m. There will be food
for sale, dancing for free, a business expo, youth activities and of course,
the SJC Chamber beer and wine booth!
3. Qué romántico: On Friday, longtime Mission San Juan Capistrano supporter Mike Hagan is honorary chair and entertainer Susan Egan will perform as the concert artist at the annual Romance of the Mission 2013 benefit gala. Egan will perform a variety of ballads and classics during an intimate live concert in the ruins of the Great Stone Church. The elegant evening includes cocktail hour in Mission’s lush front gardens and gourmet candlelight dinner courtesy of the Mission's longtime partner Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel.
4. Dump the old electronics – safely: Mission Basilica School is sponsoring an e-waste recycling event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the school’s parking lot, 31641 El Camino Real. Find out what you can safely trash here.
5. OPA! And we don’t mean a local charter school: St. Basil Greek Orthodox Church is throwing what it hopes will be the first of many Greek Cultural Festivals. The fun starts at 11 a.m. at the church, 27129 Calle Arroyo in San Juan Capistrano (of course), and goes until 10:30 p.m.
For other happenings, check our events calendar.