1. Be on the alert: Monday is National AMBER Alert Awareness Day. The CHP reminds the public to get involved during an alert by listening to news reports, paying attention to highway message signs, and keeping an eye out for the suspect vehicle.
2. Something to check out: Capistrano Valley Christian School is having an open house from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday for prospective Jr. Kindergarten through 12th grade students and parents.
3. Buon anno: Celebrate the New Year Italian style at the beautiful Marbella Country Club 5:30 p.m. Thursday. This member-only club will be open to those who love all things Italian for an “'Aperitivo Evening” of delicious food, wine tasting, live entertainment and fun friends. Cost per person is $18.95, including tax and tip but not the no-host bar. Open to Marbella members and non-members. Tickets can be purchased online.
4. Another chance to discuss water: The City Council will host a workshop to discuss water rates 5:30 p.m. Thursday at City Hall. The council will review and discuss policy issues and goals for the current rate study and welcome you to attend the meetings to provide input and feedback.
5. Mix it up: The San Juan Capistrano Chamber of Commerce mixer is 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Ricardo’s Place.
6: Become a member: The San Juan Capistrano Fiesta Association will hold its annual membership drive from 6-9 p.m. Friday. at San Juan Hills Golf Club. The event includes an Italian buffet dinner, music, door prizes and no host bar. Cost to attend is $20 or complimentary for new members joining that evening.
Fiesta Association membership provides both financial support to the nonprofit Fiesta Association and members serve as key volunteers at events including Taste of San Juan, Kids Pet Parade, El Presidente Ball, Fiesta Grande, Hoosegow Day and the 56th Swallows Day Parade Mercado Street Fair on Saturday, March 22. Membership dues are $30 per year for individuals and $50 per year for families.
For information about the Membership Mixer, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.swallowsparade.org to download information and application.
7. Make like Tinkerbell: You can fly through Disneyland this weekend as the park opens early for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and other races for families and kids.
For other happenings, check our events calendar.