1. This explains the hubbub: The San Juan Hills Golf Club is hosting sold-out tournament for the Wounded Warriors. The festivities include a jet flyover to signify the start of the tournament, a color guard will be present and most local golf pros (from other clubs as well) are donating their time and teaming up with a wounded warrior to play, says Melissa McCormack, director of operations for the club.
2. They want your blood: The city will host a blood drive on from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Community Center. For more information on the American Red Cross blood donation program click here.
3. Hollywood goes south: The West Coast Film Festival is back in San Juan Capistrano for its third go-around. Highlights include a focus on Clint Eastwood and Singing’ in the Rain on the big screen. See the line-up at the festival’s website.
4. No-entry-fee concert: Lisa Towles of Swallows Inn reports, “We will have a special show on the 29th called the Highway Man. This is a great show that usually requires tickets to get into, but we will be offering in free. Get here early, because once we hit our capacity, we will have to start a line and you may miss the show.”
5. Back to school before school: School’s not quite back in session but the San Juan Hills High football team has its first game Friday. Go Stallions! A back-to-school dance follows.
For other happenings, check our events calendar.