1. Dress in your jammies, Ambuehl and Marco students: It’s pajama day at Marco Forster Middle School and Ambuehl Elementary schools. Not only are students encouraged NOT to change when they wake up, they’re invited to bring a new pair to donate.
2. You light up my harbor: The Dana Point Harbor boat parade of lights is tonight at 7:30 p.m.
3. Tis the season … to shop: A holiday boutique arts and crafts fair is planned for 10 a.m. Saturday at Community Presbyterian Church, 32202 Del Obispo St. Photos with Santa start at 11:30 a.m.
4. Don’t forget the environment: The Ecology Center is offering a guided tour at 1 p.m. Saturday. Engage in a docent-led tour of our historic home, gardens and outdoor learning stations. The tour is free. The Ecology Center is at 32701 Alipaz St., San Juan Capistrano.
5. Light the tree: The city’s annual tree-lighting celebration is Saturday at Historic Town Center Park, 31852 El Camino Real. The fun begins at 4:45 p.m. with a pre-show including choir, orchestra and dance performances by local high school students. The main show begins at 5 p.m. with a production directed and choreographed by David Green of Musical Theater University along with a special performance featuring Renee Bond. The lighting of the Christmas tree takes place at 5:45 p.m.
Afterward, don't forget to meander downtown where local stores and restaurants will offer great sales, specials and many offering free goodies. The Mission San Juan Capistrano will host entertainment and activities on the mission grounds.
Stroll down to the Los Rios Historic District where there will be free photos with Santa Claus and a free Christmas train ride. Story Time with Mrs. Claus will take place at the O'Neil Museum at 6:30, 7 and 7:30 p.m. A holiday marionette show will be held on Verdugo Street with two show times; 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. Zoomars will offer free admission to their petting zoo. Zoomars will have a hay ride and a train ride also available for purchase. Pathway to Hope will have two evening performances of a live nativity at Zoomars: 6:15 p.m. and 7 p.m.
For more information call (949) 493-5911.
6. Music on tap: Swallows Inn has River Road Friday, Helicopter Saturday afternoon and Dawson’s Gang Saturday night and Sunday. Coach House has Mick Adams and the Stones Friday, Howie Day with Tyler Hilton Saturday and Rockapella Christmas Sunday.
For other happenings, check our events calendar.
Click here for today’s top stories from
San Juan Capistrano Patch.