Here’s the round-up of endorsements for City Council.
Neither the Orange County Democrat nor Republican parties are endorsing anyone in the race for San Juan Capistrano City Council.
A committee at the OC GOP considered the applications of incumbent Sam Allevato and Planning Commissioner Ginny Kerr, but decided to wait for its October meeting, so it may also consider former mayor Roy Byrnes and Kim McCarthy.
Then last week at a general OC GOP meeting, Assemblywoman Diane Harkey, R-Dana Point, tried to get the members at large to reconsider Allevato. They did not get the votes needed, and the motion was withdrawn.
Among the endorsements Allevato has received (he lists the OC GOP as “in process”), are:
- State Senator Mimi Walters
- Orange County Supervisors Pat Bates, Bill Campbell, Shawn Nelson
- OC Sheriff Sandra Hutchens
- Retired Sheriff Brad Gates
- Currently on the City Council: Mayor Larry Kramer and Councilman John Taylor
- Past Mayors: Wyatt Hart, Colleen Campbell, Diane Bathgate, Ken Friess, Gary Hausdorfer, Joe Soto and Councilman Tom Hribar
- OC Association of Realtors
- OC Firefighters Association
- Building Industry Association
Among the endorsements Kerr has received are:
- Currently on the City Council: Kramer, council members Taylor and Laura Freese
- OC Board of Realtors
- OC Fire Authority
Marantz reports that he did not receive any endorsements.
Roy Byrnes and Kim McCarthy
Neither candidate responded to a reporter’s inquiries. Melissa Abbott-Kaffen, who recently exited the field, has said she will put her support behind Byrnes and McCarthy. She wrote a blog explaining it.
The pair are running as the “common sense solutions” candidates and share a website http://www.commonsense4sjc.com/news. However, there is no listing of endorsements there.